Contact Us and Get Your Garden Growing:
(650) 348-7703 | Email
P.O. Box 30 Burlingame, CA 94011-0030



Some plants are obviously harmful to pets, such as poison ivy, oak, or sumac. But pet owners may be shocked to find out that dogs and cats can become very sick from eating so many common plants and flowers. Different flowers in the lily family are extremely poisonous to pets. Cats are more common lily poisoning victims than dogs, but they are toxic to both species. They are also extremely popular bouquet items. Lilies, Tiger Lilies, Easter Lilies, Tulips, and Calla Lilies are just some of the toxic plants. Keep flower arrangements that include these plants where your pets can't get at them. Keep your pet healthy by knowing which plants and trees are toxic in your area.

TREES- Trees like Yews, Prunus  and Red Maples have toxic leaves. Wilted Red Maple Leaves are especially dangerous and the ASPCA claims most poisonings take place between late summer and early winter. Gorgeous climbing plants, like Ivy and Wisteria, should be off limits to your dog. Even medicinal and recreational plants are unsafe. St. John's Wort, Aloe, Tobacco, and Rhubarb plants are a no no.

MULCH- Summer is coming and with it the drought. Mulching will be on the top of your list to conserve moisture. Cocoa mulch smells wonderful, BUT, it is toxic to dogs and cats. In response to increasing reports of dogs consuming cocoa bean shell mulch, a retrospective examination was conducted by the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) Animal Poison Control Center. The study concluded that dogs consuming cocoa bean shell mulch fertilizer may become ill, exhibiting signs consistent with methylxanthine toxicosis, which is similar to those seen with chocolate  poisonings.

Common garden plants popular around Easter, Amaryllis species contain toxins that can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hypersalivation, anorexia and tremors.

Autumn Crocus
Ingestion of Colchicum autumnale by pets can result in oral irritation, bloody vomiting, diarrhea, shock, multi-organ damage and bone marrow suppression. Also, toxic to horses.

Members of the Rhododenron spp. contain substances known as grayantoxins, which can produce vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, weakness and depression of the central nervous system in animals. Severe azalea poisoning could ultimately lead to coma and death from cardiovascularcollapse. Also, toxic to horses.

Baby’s Breath
This plant causes vomiting, anorexia, diarrhea, lethargy and extreme irritation to the GI tract.

Bird of Paradise
This plant causes nausea and vomiting and lethargy. Also, toxic to horses.

Castor Bean
The poisonous principle in Ricinus communis is ricin, a highly toxic protein that can produce severe abdominal pain, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, weakness and loss of appetite. Severe cases of poisoning can result in dehydration, muscle twitching, tremors, seizures, coma and death. Also, toxic to horses.

These popular blooms are part of the Compositae family, which contain pyrethrins that may produce gastrointestinal upset, including drooling, vomiting and diarrhea, if eaten. In certain cases depression and loss of coordination may also develop if enough of any part of the plant is consumed. 
Also,toxic to horses.

Cylamen species contain cyclamine, but the highest concentration of this toxic component is typically located in the root portion of the plant. If consumed, Cylamen can produce significant gastrointestinal irritation, including intense vomiting. Fatalities have also been reported in some cases.

Gastrointestinal distress and skin irritation

Dianthus and Sweet William
GI distress

Digitalis and Digiplexis
Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs. Level of toxicity: Generally moderate to severe. Common signs to watch for: Drooling Nausea Vomiting Abnormal heart rate. Toxic to horses.
Digiplexis ‘Illumination Flame’ A member of the Digitalis family. This is a new cross between a Digitalis and an Isoplexis and it is not only deer resistant, BUT, it blooms all summer!

English Ivy
Also called branching ivy, glacier ivy, needlepoint ivy, sweetheart ivy and California ivy,Hedera helix contains triterpenoid saponins that, should pets ingest, can result in vomiting, abdominal pain, hypersalivation and diarrhea.

The word "geranium" is the common name for plants of the Pelargonium genus. The geranium category encompasses over 200 plant types. Known for their hardiness and ease of growth, these plants are a common choice for gardeners who want colorful flowers. But according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), you may want to reconsider your flower choice if you have a canine companion because geraniums are toxic to dogs. The side effects can range from mild to moderately severe vomiting, skin irritation and GI distress, but all are uncomfortable should your dog decide to ingest these blooming beauties

Consumption of irisin -- thought to be the primary toxic agent -- and pentacyclic terpenoids cause increased salivation, diarrhea, vomiting, decreased appetite, ulcers and bleeding of the stomach and small intestine.

This plant contains components that can produce gastrointestinal irritation, as well as those that are toxic to the heart, and can seriously affect cardiac rhythm and rate.

Members of the Lilium spp. are considered to be highly toxic to cats. While the poisonous component has not yet been identified, it is clear that with even ingestions of very small amounts of the plant, severe kidney damage could result. Calla Lily:drooling, intense burning, irritation of the mouth, tongue and lips, difficulty swallowing, and vomiting.

Ingestion of Cannabis sativa by companion animals can result in depression of the central nervous system and incoordination, as well as vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, increased heart rate, and even seizures and coma.Toxic to horses.

All parts of Nerium oleander are considered to be toxic, as they contain cardiac glycosides that have the potential to cause serious effects—including gastrointestinal tract irritation, abnormal heart function, hypothermia and even death.

This plant contains the toxin, paeonol, which is concentrated in the bark. When ingested in large amounts, it can cause gastrointestinal distress (e.g., vomiting, diarrhea, etc.). 
Also,toxic to horses.

Spathiphyllum, Peace Lily(AKA Mauna Loa Peace Lily)and Schefflera and Brassais
Spathiphyllum contains calcium oxalate crystals that can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing and intense burning and irritation of the mouth, lips and tongue in pets who ingest.

Schefflera and Brassaia actinophylla contain calcium oxalate crystals that can cause oral irritation excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing and intense burning and irritation of the mouth, lips and tongue in pets who ingest.

Sago Palm All parts of Cycas Revoluta are poisonous, but the seeds or "nuts" contain the largest amount of toxin. The ingestion of just one or two seeds can result in very serious effects, which include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, seizures and liver failure.Also, toxic to horses.

Toxic to horses as well as dogs and cats.

Tulip/Narcissus bulbs
The bulb portions of Tulipa/Narcissus spp. contain toxins that can cause intense gastrointestinal irritation, drooling, loss of appetite, depression of the central nervous system, convulsions and cardiac abnormalities.
Also,toxic to horses.

Taxus spp. contains a toxic component known as taxine, which causes central nervous system effects such as trembling, incoordination, and difficulty breathing. It can also cause significant gastrointestinal irritation and cardiac failure, which can result in death.Also, toxic to horses.